June 19, 2020
This is to announce the Election Process 2020 for the leadership position of Multi-Stakeholder Steering Group (MSG).
Current leader has served for 1 term and are concluding after APrIGF 2020:
Vice Chair: Vice Chair: Mr. Babu Ram Aryal, Internet Governance Institute (Civil Society) (2018-2020)
- Vice Chair of MSG (2020-2022)
According to the APrIGF Election Procedure, a call for Election Committee has been opened from 1 Jun (Mon) – 4 Jun (Thu) 2020. With consensus among the MSG, below are the final members of Election Committee 2020.
- Mr. Ananda Gautam, Nepal (Civil Society)
- Dr. Gnanajeyaraman Rajaram, India (Academia)
- Ms. Maureen Hilyard, Pacific (Civil Society)
- Dr. N.Sudha Bhuvaneswari, India (Academia)
- Mr. Paul Wilson, Australia (Technical Community)
2020 Election Timeline
|1 Jun (Mon)||Appointment of the Election Committee|
|4 Jun (Thu)||Nomination Period Opens|
|15 Jun (Mon)||Announcement online and notification to ACTIVE MSG VOTING MEMBERS of their eligibility to vote (as per Guideline 11.1)|
|24 Jun (Wed)||Nomination Period Closes|
|29 Jun (Mon)||Announce Final Shortlisted Candidates to MSG members|
|6 Jul (Mon)||Opening Date of Voting Period|
|10 Jul (Fri)||Closing Date of Voting Period|
|13 Jul (Mon)||Announcement of the Final Election Result|
Eligibility of Candidates
Candidates for leadership (Chair or Vice-Chairs) in any election year are open to every MSG member as well as non-MSG members. However, it is desirable that all candidates possess the following qualifications.
- Must work and reside in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Represent one of the listed stakeholders in section 4.0 of the Operating Principles but not limited to the list.
- Volunteers who have been active in the APrIGF activities and the Internet Governance space.
- MSG members with leadership potential and demonstrated long term commitment to the MSG’s goals.
- In the event of conflict of interest, MSG must declare his/her status at the earliest to the MSG Chair and the Committee as an act of good faith.
Term of office
- The term of office for each position is two event cycles.
- All leadership positions will not exceed two consecutive terms (or four years duration).
- Returning leaders may choose to run for election again after one cycle (or two years) has elapsed since the last date of tenure (most recent ending term date) confirmed by the Secretariat.
- In the case where the Vice Chair wanting to stand for the Chair position:
(a) If his/her term is ending at the next election, they can be nominated as Chair while a separate election will take place for the Vice Chair position.
(b) if his/her term is not ending at the next election, they must vacate his/her position as Vice Chair, so that another separate election can take place for the empty Vice Chair position.
NominationsNominations of candidates should be made by submitting the name, organisation, stakeholder group, a short bio, email address and a letter stating the acceptance of the nomination of the candidate to [email protected] ONLY before the nomination period closes. Self-nominations will also be accepted.
More information about the Operating Principles and Election Procedure of APrIGF MSG, please visit https://aprigf.asia/msg.html.
Thank you very much.
Secretariat of APrIGF